May we introduce ourselves
Our name is : Lokaal Wassenaar!
We are a local political party. Our main aim is to serve the local Wassenaar community. That means listening to the views and opinions of our fellow-villagers and following up on what we hear.
We are a mix of social-democrats and liberals, neither right nor left oriented.
Our priorities include the following key issues :
- Transparent politics and clear decision-making
- Reasonable municipal taxes and effective use of tax-payers money
- Safeguarding Wassenaar as an independent municipality
- Being a caring party for those in need
- Confronting the ever increasing through traffic within our village
- Safeguarding a proper environment and maintaining Wassenaar's green village image
- Guarding the safety and security within our village
In a nut shell, we are conservative as far as it concerns the protection of the quality of life in Wassenaar and yet we are also progressive by keeping an open mind for developments and challenges of the future.
There is no such thing as a hidden agenda. We are free and independent.
Lokaal Wassenaar! has no masters, only the constituents of Wassenaar.
Important for you to know is the fact that as far as municipal elections are concerned (gemeenteraad) expats have the right to vote as long as they are registered with their municipality. This applies to both Dutch and EU citizens, however not the embassy nor consular staff of non-EU countries.
Non-EU citizens must have lived in The Netherlands uninterrupted for at least 5 years to obtain voting rights.